Needlestick Injury Results in Transmission of Monkeypox
The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently reported on an emergency department nurse who was infected with monkeypox after a needlestick injury that occurred while treating a patient with monkeypox. Published in the agency’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, the article notes that occupational transmission of monkeypox is very rare, and this case, out of Florida, is the first known case of occupational transmission in the US. The nurse was infected after accidentally sticking her index finger through her gloves during recapping of a used needle. The nurse had used the needle to open a monkeypox lesion so she could swab it for testing. Click here to read more.