American Association of Endodontists Provides Considerations for Dental and Endodontic Care Amid COVID-19
The American Association of Endodontists (AAE) has announced several recommended considerations to its 8,000-plus endodontist and dentist members in response to COVID-19
The American Association of Endodontists (AAE) has announced several recommended considerations to its 8,000-plus endodontist and dentist members in response to COVID-19. The announcement came at a time when other dental organizations revealed similar recommendations regarding dental care and emergency versus nonemergency treatment.
Along with these recommendations, the AAE also published on its website, ahead of its publication in the May issue of the Journal of Endodontics, a review providing an overview of the epidemiology, symptoms and routes of transmission of COVID-19. In addition, specific recommendations for dental practice are suggested:
- We agree with the CDC as well as professional organizations such as the ADA in recommending postponement of non-urgent oral health care for up to three weeks.
- Examples of urgent conditions requiring oral health care may include severe dental pain, abscess with lymphadenopathy, or a dental infection-related fever.
- Some urgent conditions may be treated with appropriate analgesics or antibiotics. A recent report from the British Medical Journal recommends acetaminophen over ibuprofen. While providing pharmacological treatment, practitioners can continue to monitor patient responses by telephone contact.
- If pharmacotherapy is insufficient, the recent review co-authored by Dr. Ken M. Hargreaves summarizes considerations for appropriate dental care.
- As of now, the impact of the epidemic varies across the country. Accordingly, the recommendations of our members’ local and state dental societies should be reviewed.
As this pandemic evolves, new recommendations will likely emerge. In addition to updates being made to aae.org/covid, the AAE provides a list of websites with useful information:
- COVID-19 Situation Webpage
- WHO: Rolling Updates on Coronavirus Disease
- ADA Coronavirus Resource Center for Dentists
- ISDS Issues Recommendations for Dental Offices Regarding COVID-19
- New York State Dental Association: Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- California Dental Association: Urgent COVID-19 Updates